In previous years, we enhanced our safety tools and processes to make the responsibilities of site leaders more explicit. We recognize the importance of local leadership in setting an example to follow and preventing accidents. We are focusing on the role of leadership as one of the main pillars of best practice
Safety is everyone’s responsibility, at every level of the organization. We aim to drive safety Ownership in all our locations. We will:
- Underpin that safety is everyone’s responsibility
- Influence safety culture with all of our contractors
- Increase regular communications with contractors’ senior management
Launch the ‘Together, we are safer’ (I am responsible, I own it) campaign
When we are overly focused on the bigger picture, we are in danger of becoming contented. To tackle this, we are working on setting up ‘cold eyes reviews’, an unbiased analysis of our processes and practices, at all of our sites.
We are breathing new life into our ‘Hazard Hunts’, allowing workers to perform a hazard hunt in an area different from the one they work in, identifying and rectifying potential hazards.
We are also strengthening last-minute task based risk assessments and line of fire awareness sessions.
Improving the mental health and wellbeing of our people can enhance decision making on site and improve overall safety and productivity. The Covid-19 pandemic had a negative impact on the wellbeing of our people,; which led to an increased focus on mental health and wellbeing programs. Mental health and wellbeing are vitally important in ensuring that we continue to operate safely.
The main aims of this pillar are:
- Cold eyes review of current welfare arrangements
- Reinforce the roles of the Employee Assistance Program champions across the business
- Increasing the number of welfare programs
- Support the wellbeing of our people
Worker distraction causes a number of incidents. We all need to refocus our attention on overcoming complacency, identifying potential safety risks, and reinforcing existing safety processes and rules. As part of this pillar, we will:
- Empower workers to intervene when they observe an unsafe situation or behavior that may put their safety or the safety of their colleagues at risk
- Improve managers’ and supervisors’ engagement with their workforce and ability to identify
- distracted workers